Monday, July 2, 2007

Running

I am workin' on getting these all segmented out so you can choose what you want to be updated on. Some people don't give a rip about my running (Phillip raised his hand from his spot in bed) and some are really quite suprised that I took on running the Hood to Coast. Most of you probably know that it is a 12 man relay race from the top of Mt. Hood to Seaside at the coast in about 35 hours. Each person runs three legs that vary in difficulty from easy to f'n hard. I have been blessed with two easy legs and a very hard. I am rather optomistic at this point that my training has been good. Until the stress of remodeling, hormones and Phillip's work schedule mixed not so well with the funky weather and my arthritis has kicked my good knee pretty bad. I am working on high doses of MSM, bengay- which RJ and Phillip think smells like mints and Jack has found is not chap stick (I got the what for when I got home tonight about leaving it out) and a brace are helping with most of the swelling/discomfort. I took about 5 days off of running and found there was no marked improvement even with icing the heck out of it so really I am just getting old and stiff in the joints.
I really can't tell you how excited I am to be taking on something that really to be quite frank, scares the crap out of me. I have never done anything like this and I am running every day with a hope and prayer that I don't get hurt and can run the whole time. The group I am runnign with is a lot of fun so at the least I will make some very close friends and spend two days riding in a van eating brownies and stinkin' up the joint;) Any tips would be immensely helpful and encouragement is always welcome. Also looking for some good 5-8 mile runs in the bvtn area for longer weekend trecks. Jack has come to enjoy them and I am finding that running w/ the jogging stroller and his extra weight to be quite the training tool.
Fingers crossed man. 7 weeks away!

No comments: