Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year Commitment



Aside from the typical New Year Resolutions that are still on the list from last year: loose weight for more than 6 months; be a better wife/mom/friend/fill in the blank; save money (you get the picture). I decided to make a commitment instead. I am going to become a better cook. Oh stop the laughing right now! I mean it. I know that there have been, how shall we say it, incidents? I can safely say that I haven't hurt anyone with my cooking. And yes, I know it is because I won't let people eat it when it is that bad; i.e. flame throwing chicken. I would like to be able to cook better consistently.

So, I need a plan. Surprise! So here are my thoughts...
-Julia Child's book(s)? WAY to big of a book, not enough pictures.
-A new recipe a day? Uh, yeah no.
-Master a few things? Reasonable.
-A new recipe a week? Well, we'll see.

I decided then to have a more organic experience with reasonable expectations. For now.
I will commit to at least one new recipe a week AND master a few things regardless of how many times it takes.

This begs the question, what to master? Well, I have mastered a few things over the years, and by mastered I mean cook consistently well...
-Chili
-Chicken enchiladas
-Cranberry chicken
-Pineapple meatballs
-Brownies
-7 layer dip
-French toast casserole
-Roasted vegetables
Aaannnd I think that is it.
I can cook relatively decently although not consistently...
-Marmalade roasted chicken
-Mac & Cheese (yes, the kind from the box)
-Pesto lasagna
If you count preserves I can include in this category pickles & assorted jams.

I do want to cook biscuits well. Fish would be most excellent. Asparagus for sure. So those are totally on my goal sheet.

Now since this is Heather taking this on, you know this will be hysterical. So I also commit to sharing the journey. But only if you help. I will post my exploits...flaming chicken and all, if you give me recipes. I will try those that I think I can execute with safety in mind and my children's selective palate. I will also share pictures so that you can really enjoy the ride.

To mark my progress I would LOVE you to share your exploits of my cooking. I know there are some great ones out there. You can email them, post them on Facebook or I think you can leave posts here too.

So to start things off I will try to post the picture of the flame throwing chicken so you can enjoy the 'Best Of'.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is one impressive photo of chicken. Did you eat it? :)
Here's a recipe I want to try (Pork chops with roasted Carrots & oranges): http://www.womansday.com/recipefinder/pork-chops-with-roasted-carrots-and-oranges-recipe

And a Chicken enchilada bake in the crockpot: http://www.friendsforweightloss.com/featured-recipe-of-the-week-crockpot-chicken-bake/

For dessert, Apple crisp: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/09/cinnamon-apple-crisp.html

I love skinnytaste! It's a great blog of recipes that are healthy. :)

Good luck!
Melissa