Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dinner


Yes, I have been cooking. Some dishes I have cooked well. There were some enchiladas in there somewhere. Today was very enlightening though. I made some pork chops that were cooked well, tasted well and the boys thought they were great. They were however done before the rest of the side dishes so they were a few minutes overcooked. Not dry per say but not tender. I mastered the art of standing facing the fridge and using the 'last of' a couple of things. Seared in a cast iron skillet, turned down the heat, added garlic and poured in the last of the orange juice. turned down the heat, covered and simmered. My challenge was with the Alfredo sauce that covered the pasta. Wasn't getting cooked fast enough so I turned it on high and whisked it until it was thick and bubbly. When pouring it over the pasta I found I had burned the bottom of the pan. UGH! Stove you VEX ME!
Thoughts during the experience:
-Pickled ginger goes bad?
-Note to self, check the pickles in the garage fridge
-Is that too much oil?
-Turn the heat down so they don't dry out
-Shoot the chops are done but the sauce isn't
-They wouldn't put 10 as an option if it wasn't necessary right?
-Whisk constantly
-WHY is there a HIGH feature if you aren't supposed to use it!!!!

Best result? RJ, 'This dinner is great mom.' Yes, he will be a great husband someday.


No comments: