Sunday, January 8, 2012

Biscuits #1

Like pickles this is a commitment for Phillip. He loves them. I started with the basic recipe found in the Better Homes & Gardens cook book. The red and white checked one. This is my go to book. It's the one that my grandmother, Muzzy got for me when I got married. All the women in my family have one and we even compare the changes that have happened over the years. Yes the original one still has the best pie filling recipes.

So biscuits. These were my thoughts while reading the recipe and attempting to follow them to the letter(ish).
10,10,10
Is the baking powder expired?
Alum & cream of tartar shouldn't be on the same shelf.
10 isn't very many
Don't answer the phone!
Is microwaving butter bad?
Does cream of tartar expire? 2 5/8 is closer to 2 1/2 then 2 1/4 They don't all fit! There are more then 10
Measuring the thickness of the dough is KEY
What do you do about leftover dough?
Using an oven light is rather deceptive
How much time do you add after opening the door?

YEAH, Success! Here are the pics. They were edible. Bland but edible.
I learned that I need a better way of gauging how thick something is besides my finger (the space from knuckle to knuckle on my pointer finger is one inch). Fresh ingredients are important, so is checking in advance that you have everything you need. You can microwave butter from frozen but only just a little bit. And I will move the alum to another shelf.
Also, biscuits are in my opinion, a vehicle for spreads AND should be served warm. Thankfully I have an abundance of spread choices from my preserves this summer. Including the softened butter and honey from the farm we were set. I was successful in getting flaky layers on the ones that were cooked all the way through (note the comments about opening the oven door).

What I really learned was that you really need to have uninterrupted time to cook. Phone calls, children's needs, TV shows, FB; really are a bit of a distraction. But given good planning I think that cooking is do-able. It became abundantly clear that I need to plan for cooking; recipes, ingredients, time etc. This is where the kicker is. I like to plan many things in my life, not as much as the other members in my family prefer and obviously not nearly enough for cooking either. So here we are week one and the growth that I realize I need in order to be successful cooking is not what I thought at all.

This is going to be harder than I thought.


No comments: