Monday, June 9, 2008

Never do this...

Okay, so I never really rant about home projects like I should but this time I couldn't resist!
We just got a tankless water heater. Yes mind you, it was the week we were trying to get out of town and I had no water, let alone hot water, for the day that they were converting but that aside...
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What an amazing little thing! Not only do we not use gas when we aren't using water (always pissed me off that you were heating water you weren't using at the time), but it takes so much less water getting it up to heat! It only takes as long as it takes to travel the pipe from the tank to the faucet. We are now water misers! The added bonus is that we run the water heater at a lower temp because you realize how not hot it needs to be. No waiting for it to get too hot and then mixing the cold w/ the hot to get it warm enough.

But when I was canning last night I needed to have the lids soaking in hot water while waiting to fill the jars (sorry if you are not interested in the small details of home canning) and I just had Phillip turn up the heater to 130 and then when the sink was filled I had him turn it back down to the 115! What a great way to save water, heat and time! I didn't need to boil the water to fill the sink (we don't have insta hot I know we suck) or run it forever to get it sorta hot!
Love it! Plus there are a thousand little features of the
Rinnai (the brand we got) that make it such a good investment. (P.S. after all the research we did- don't get the brand at Home Depot off the shelf.)
Sorry to torment you with small items, but I really love the thing. Makes me want to SING!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh the things that excite us when we're "grown ups" haha! What were you canning? That sound like a chore but fun. I'm going to attempt freezer jam this year - I figured I'd start with something more simple! :)