Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Belt Promotion

So it is not the children that are over scheduled...it is me. Second week of summer and I am ready to just fall on my face. As a result I am forgetting to mention the biggest accomplishments thus far. I know.

RJ got promoted from his yellow belt to his green belt!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are soooooo proud of him. He has been working on his tae kwon do belt for almost a year. He has been amazing to watch. He has quite the similar temperament that I have- sensitive, stubborn, emotionally responsive to most if not all situations. However we are different creatures when it comes to competition. I can't remember if I have blogged on it before but, I am very pushy with my children to try harder, do better and I can get down right bossy about it. I know. So it has been a very difficult year for me because there wasn't the type of progress I wanted from him. So of course in my way, I bribed, cajoled and overall made a muck of things trying to motivate him to do better/ try harder. Well I'll be damned. The one who did the most growing this last year with tae kwon do, was me. What I have come to see in RJ are all these wonderful traits that I don't have, that amaze me, and I have sometimes missed. Mainly because as a parent I am always helping, teaching, and generally being in his face. I was forced to take a step back-much pushing from his teacher- and see RJ for all the wonderful things he has to offer. Such as being very much like his mother and doing things his way on his schedule.

My amazing child enjoys life, every moment of it. When he sets his mind on something he can do it- easily. He loves to make friends, and he is good at it. He is very thoughtful of others, very polite, kind hearted and tender. Most of the things in life that cause stress at this age- loosing your teeth in a way that makes you look like a beaver- he finds hilarious! He can make just about anything funny...he is not afraid to laugh, out loud, at himself- or at whatever strikes his fancy. He is not easily embarrassed (always a great trait in my family). When he has to get up in front of a crowd- church pageant, school pageant, 20 people for the belt promotion ceremony- he performs!
With tae kwon do, he was never stressed about his progress. He just enjoyed the process. He never saw it as a chore, or as work. He just had fun.
Whenever I say his name or think of him I see him smiling, laughing, and just being a goof. God I am blessed. He is so much fun to have around.

Oh and I forgot the camera, so Phillip had to run to the corner store and get a disposable one...should have them developed soon and will post them then. I know. Phillip said it already, "like we do this everyday, why would you bring the camera?" RJ thinks Phillip is very funny. Must be where he gets it from;)

No comments: