Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring

The tulips are out and then the frost and snow came. Could it be spring?
Hard to believe that we are still shaking off the winter weather and I am quickly trying to over plan RJ's summer. I know, I know, this is all odd for me too. I really have no idea what I am doing w/ the whole parenting thing and I have fallen into some rather odd rhythms. Two years ago RJ wasn't signed up for anything and it was a bust of a summer, well, maybe because I was on bed rest and delivering a baby that was why, who knows really. Last year I overcompensated and scheduled the child to the week. It was also a bust. And by bust I mean, fits, tears, fighting and well, overall grumps. So I am trying a new strategy this year. I am signing him up for the few things he liked last year and planning some trips away from home w/ nothing to do but hang w/ the cousins and see where that gets us. I am hoping a better year to be had by all.
Now mind you we had no kitchen and mama e was in a serious state of doldrums (to put it mildly) so we are already ahead of the game. A fridge, a stove and food that is not from a Frito's bag, and a more happy mama.
What an odd world we live in though. I really am walking a thin line on this schedule issue. It is a "flash point" for some. There are the moms that don't schedule anything and then there are the moms that will pay an arm, a leg and their first born grandchild, in order to get the kids in one camp after the next. So different now, honestly I think the issue isn't how hard kids are to entertain or how dangerous it is to be unsupervised, I know that most of my hangups are mine, not my kids. So here is to jumping off into the deep end and hoping there is water. I am going to teach my child independence by giving him freedom. I'll follow Phillips lead and say, "you can't teach a child responsibility without risk." I will let him make his own time, I will let him walk around neighborhood and play with his friends. I will show him how to get to the store and let him walk if he wants, I will show him the way to the park and let him go on his own. Okay, when he is ready...he will tell me when he is ready right? I just need to be ready to listen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say stick to minimalism. A handful of quality activities will create greater memories than activity overload.

You're doing good, Heather.